Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Do you think the bible is real?
06-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Do you think the bible is real?
because I don't, atleast I don't think everything in it should be taken seriously I think it should be taken more as a metaphor. Wouldn't you agree?
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
RE: de you think the bible is real?
I do think the Bible is real BUT I also believe:

It is not complete in and of itself (there is other info out there)
It is VERY misunderstood and mistranslated (Best to study the original language)
It has been altered and changed over the centuries

~ Questioning the answers is much more important than answering the questions ~

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey ~^*White face*^~ Did Giants Once Walk the Earth?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2009, 05:23 PM
100% the Bible is real... however I do think that man did put some of their personal opinions in the Bible. I also agree with Caretaker alot of the true meaning of the Bible has been lost over the years and I dont think it will ever be correctly given back.

Again.. man at work on that one too.
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Much of the loss in meaning and the seeming contradictions are because of simple changes in the English language. Even from one generation to the next word meanings and usage can change drastically. Other seeming contradictions come about because of problems with the translating. I also believe some of it was cut out or altered by the translators. When you study the original language with a lexicon you can sometimes find places where there is no original text to back up the translation. In other words the translators stuck in a few words here and there. This may or may not have been done with malice because that sort of thing would be necessary when translating any language.

Here are just a few quick examples of how English words have changed in meaning over time (there are many many more)

Hope - today it means something like a wish, but a few hundred years ago it meant to know without a doubt. If you said I hope it rains today then you knew with no doubts whatsoever that it was going to rain.

Charity - today it means donations, so when people see the word in scripture they think it is talking about giving. But no in those days the word meant Love and had nothing to do with making donations to the needy.

Those are just a couple off the top of my head, I know there are a lot more and they cause people to misinterpret the scripture all the time. I think access to the original languages is essential to growing in understanding of the Bible.

In one place in the old testament we read about God tempting Isaac to sacrifice his only son. Later in the New testament we read something like, let no man say when he is tempted that he is tempted by God for God tempteth no man - Contradiction? No not when you look at the original language and find that the two words translated as "tempt" had completely different meanings. That's just the way it is with languages especially when the passing of time comes into play.

Many people lose faith and/or ridicule the Bible over simple misunderstandings like that.

06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
... what is it a metaphor for?

Actually, I agree the language in the Bible is metaphoric... how else does one explain Isaiah's writings? =)

... and Caretaker is correct. A lot is or has been lost in translation and transcription over the years. The King James version, I believe, is the most widely used today. Generally, words that didn't exist in Hebrew are written in italics in this version of the Bible... and there are quite a few words in italics.

As far as I know, belief in "The Good Book" comes from personal experience and study. As far as context of the Bible goes, it's told from one person's POV-- or as in the case of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, it's told from many POV's. Who were these authors? Who were they writing to? Why? What was the purpose in writing down what they did? (Though, it's interesting... speaking of multiple authors writing about the same thing... In 2005 I took a road trip to the Eastern United States with some college roommates of mine. We kept a trip journal for the duration. It's interesting to see what each of us wrote in the journal. Sometimes, we'd have similar stories. Sometimes those stories would be remembered differently. Other times, there would be a story written by only one of us.)

Most of what you read almost seems like a journal of events that transpired during that time. It's a lot of the same things people might write in journals now-a-days-- weather, family, heritage, dreams, where you traveled, etc. More importantly-- how do all those events in the Bible match up in a historical context? Of the places they've "matched" to approximate Biblical locations, the levels in the Earth or artifacts found on site generally coincide what's written in the Bible. So, how "fake" is it? Are there any circumstances that refute the possibility of truth in the Bible?

I believe if you look for errors, you will always find them. So, if you're looking for reasons for the Bible not to be true, you'll probably find something-- if not for the human error therein from all the translation and transcription then from other errors... perhaps errors in matching locations... errors in carbon dating... etc.

So, ultimately, the truth of the thing lies in how well you believe in it. It's like believing in anything... faith only gets you so far. Unless you unveil the secrets for yourself, you'll never know... and what you know depends a lot on what you're searching for.

... and what if you delve into the Bible and decide it to be false and/or fictional and/or metaphorical?

Then what you get out of it is for you to decide for there is no right answer for everyone-- just a correct answer for yourself.
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
RE: Do you think the bible is real?
I see what you mean but some of it is just to unbelievable to be true such as Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve. I think God started evolution and the big bang and such. And Noah's Ark just seems like a story to me, there is no way he had a boat big enough or any possible way to round up 2 of every animal. Also one more thing if Adam and Eve is true doesn't that mean we are all inbred? Tongue
06-02-2009, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2009 06:36 PM by jadewik.)
Yeah, it does seem far-fetched... but how would you explain the remains of what appears to be an ark in the mountains of Turkey?... and it even fits the description and time period outlined in the Bible. Coincidence? Perhaps.

... but if you believe there was an ice-age where ice covered all the earth, is it not also possible that there was a rainstorm that covered the earth with water? Maybe a solar winter that melted? It's something to think about, at least.

... and as far as Adam and Eve go... If you want to see it that way, yes. Yet, no... because the bloodline then was pure. There were no impurities. There was no risk. As disease and genetic disorders developed the risks associated with "interbreeding" increased... take, for example, the Romanov family. Sickle Cell Anemia ran in their family because royalty only bread with royalty. I imagine the custom of "incest" developed as people noticed "crazy" was transmitted via lineage.

... of course, those are just theories. To me, it makes sense.
06-02-2009, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2009 07:09 PM by The Warrior.)
I'm not well versed in the bible at all. I hated Sunday School and the contests of who could turn to that book of the bible first. I agree with Care Taker and others here that have posted their views on missing parts. I also have never let go of a simple saying that one of my college English professors said and that is this .... "You can never separate a writer from his writings". That means this: Man/woman - mostly man in the sense of the Bible interpreted what God was telling them into their own words. It is very possible that they incorporated their own thoughts and feelings into the words as well. My own sister thinks the Bible is a history book and I really disagree with her. I think of the Bible as being almost magical in the sense that you can interpret its meaning many ways at many different times...and the funny thing is that often it happens to be the exact interpretation that you need at that time. Its also rather amazing at how...at least for me...I can pray with my eyes closed and open my bible with the faith that through prayer God will provide me with Guidance in the words in the bible. I have left jobs because I have opened the bible to a story about packing your bags and leaving. If you are open minded enough...God will give you guidance about your own life with a parable from the bible. When you really start reading the bible you start to realize that the world at the time it was written was just as sick and evil and hard as it is now. I have predicted my own future using the bible and my husband can testify to that. God promised this and that...and well then it happened or is happening or is still coming.

I live by mainly by a few simple rules. First I live by Faith in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit (a triangle by the way), that God writes his laws on my heart (soul) and that I need to treat everyone in the way I would want to be treated. For the most part....much of the bible can be broken down into these basic concepts. My largest questions are about the spiritual world and the demonic and satanic world that wants to separate me from my beloved Lord. I truly believe that these answers have been hidden from man along the years...and no I don't know why, I can only speculate.

So to answer your question...yes the bible is real....its up to you as to what it represents in your life. Some believe it is the greatest gift that God has ever bestowed us.

http://www.myspace.com/addictionmatters

[Image: th_swordofthespirit-1-1.jpg]

"Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." Ephesians 6:11
06-02-2009, 07:21 PM
(06-02-2009 06:24 PM)Friend001 Wrote:  I see what you mean but some of it is just to unbelievable to be true such as Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve. I think God started evolution and the big bang and such. And Noah's Ark just seems like a story to me, there is no way he had a boat big enough or any possible way to round up 2 of every animal. Also one more thing if Adam and Eve is true doesn't that mean we are all inbred? Tongue

Actually there are a lot of different cultures who have legends about a world wide flood that destroyed everyone but a select few. I believe such flooding did occur but Noah and his family werent the only ones who were saved.

I also saw a program on Discover once where they analyzed the DNA structure of out mitochondria and according to what they found and explained - all of mankind originated from one female. Im not an expert on stuff like that but I am sure info about it could be found online.

Just a couple things to think about

06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
now that you mention it I do remember watching a show about how mankind originated from one man and one women well maybe there is some truth in the bible but it's all a little blown out of proportion...