Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Mayans and 2012
05-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Mayans and 2012
Recently I have heard a lot of things about 2012, stating that it is the end of the world, end of an era or a time cycle, or its just nothing. I personally believe that its just a cycle and that nothing is going to happen. What do you guys believe?

[Image: 2i1zgj6.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
RE: Mayans and 2012
(05-30-2009 02:00 PM)Buzze Wrote:  Recently I have heard a lot of things about 2012, stating that it is the end of the world, end of an era or a time cycle, or its just nothing. I personally believe that its just a cycle and that nothing is going to happen. What do you guys believe?

[Image: cambiostierramapas04.jpg]
What the world could look like after 2012
05-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I dont know if it is I just read to much stuff about that but personally I dont like it.. I think something rather nasty is coming. I will say on Dec. 21 2012 my kids (and hopefully hubby) will be home just in case. (Yeah I am probably like the Orson Wells people screaming around with a bucket on my head).

I hope there is just to much hype over nothing like Y2K.. I really really hope but I do have the feeling in my stomach that just dont feel right.. and no it wasnt the burritos I ate either.. Big eyes
05-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Well if your in a country that celebrates christmas you will be at home. that is unless you are going to go to a party.

05-31-2009, 02:45 AM
Show me the Mayan text in which they're predicting the end of the world and I will kneel before you. Not the Tzolkin, nor the Haab (first is ritualistic calendar, second is the laic one) is mentioning about any end of the world. More than that, we are familiar with Mayan hieroglyphes mentioning the date we can calculate as our year 9898 - whoh, didn't the world end 8k years ago? Hmm...

Second of all, we're not even sure if the European monks were correct and they didn't made mistakes in their calculations, we might be already far beyond the magical 2012 date, probably our current date might be 2020 already - see, we're still alive.

Third of all, Mayan calendar can not predict the end, because it's not linear. Time in Mayan beliefs is circular, not linear, the end of one circle is the beginning of another, it can not end, it's very similar therefore to chinese calendar (as you might now, time in chinese calendar is also circular, not linear).

Third of all - why the heck 21.12.2012? Because it's an end of a cycle, that begun in 13th of July 3114 b.c.? Was it a "Year 0"? Not really, as I said before - there is no beginning in Mayan calendar, nor there is any ending, this date is considered as beginning of Mayan civilization, and in their calendar, it's the ajaw 4 kumku, it can be translated as the 4th day of Ajaw Kumku month. So it's not zero Smile.

What mr. Geryl is trying to persuade us to think is just another way of earning money. When the day 21st of December 2012 will come, mr. Geryl will dissapear on some tropical island with his fortune on a bank account in Cayman Islands...

So no, I'm not expecting any end. Well, I'm expecting nothing in particular.
05-31-2009, 03:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2009 04:02 AM by Pitch Potter.)
I said before here in another thread, this date is an astronomical event where our sun is aligned with the center of the Milky Way, our galaxy.

Quote:Question: "What is the year 2012 Mayan prophecy?"

Answer: The ancient Mayans, based on star charting, prophesied that December 21, 2012 would be the end of the world (or at least some form of universal catastrophe). Meso-American star charting started around 680 B.C. by the Olmec civilization who were recording astrological patterns in the sky and eventually shared this information with the Mayans. The Mayans had a long history of tracking the winter solstice (probably for planting crops) and creating calendars (at least 17 that we know of). At some point, they developed the belief that our sun is a god and that the Milky Way, called the “Sacred Tree,” was a gateway to the afterlife. After learning from the Olmecs, they began keeping records of the stars’ patterns of movement and continued to do so for the next 200-300 years. The Mayans then developed their own calendar (The Long Count) ca. 355 B.C. They were able to use their observations and mathematical prowess to calculate the future movements of stars across the sky. The result was that the Mayans discovered the effect of the earth’s wobbling as it spins on its axis. This wobbling rotation causes the stars’ patterns of movement to drift gradually in the sky (called “precession”) in a 5,125-year cycle. The Mayans also discovered that once every cycle the dark band at the center of the Milky Way (called the Galactic Equator) intersects with the Elliptical (the plane of the sun’s movement across the sky).

During that year, the sun reaches its solstice (a brief moment when the sun’s position in the sky is at its greatest angular distance on the other side of the equatorial plane from the observer) on December 21 for the Northern Hemisphere and June 21 for the Southern Hemisphere. That year, the solstice occurs at the moment of the conjunction of the Galactic Equator with the Milky Way. The year this occurs (in relation to our Gregorian calendar) is A.D. 2012, and happened last on August 11, 3114 B.C. With Mayan mythology teaching that our sun is a god and the Milky Way is the gateway to life and death, the Mayans concluded that this intersection in the past must have been the moment of creation. Mayan hieroglyphs seem to indicate that they believed the next intersection in 2012 would be some sort of end and a new beginning of a cycle. The Mayans also believed that the blood of human sacrifices was what powered the sun and gave it life.

All the so-called “Mayan prophecies of 2012” are nothing more than wildly speculative extrapolations, which are based on the yet uncertain interpretations by scholars of Mayan hieroglyphs. However, the truth is that apart from the astrological convergence, there is little indication that the Mayans prophesied anything specific regarding the events of this distant future. The Mayans were not prophets; they were not even able to predict their own cultural extinction. They were great mathematicians and accomplished sky watchers, but they were also a brutally violent tribal people with a primitive understanding of natural phenomena, subscribing to archaic beliefs and the barbaric practices of blood-letting and human sacrifice.

There is absolutely nothing in the Bible that would present December 21, 2012, as the end of the world. While that date is no less valid for an end-times event than any other future date, the Bible nowhere presents the astronomical phenomena the Mayans pointed to as a sign of the end times. It would seem very inconsistent of God to allow the Mayans to discover such an amazing truth while keeping the many Old Testament prophets ignorant of the timing of the events. In summary, there is absolutely no biblical evidence that the 2012 Mayan prophecy / prediction of doomsday is in any sense valid or probable.

Accepting the Mayan 2012 prophecy logically requires acceptance of the following theories: our sun is a god; the sun is powered by the blood of human sacrifice; the creation moment occurred at 3114 B.C. (despite all evidence that it happened much earlier); and the visual alignment of stars has some significance for everyday human life. Like every other false religion, the Mayan religion sought to elevate to the point of worship that which was created in place of the Creator Himself. The Bible tells us about such false worshipers: “They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator” (Romans 1:25), and “since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse” (Romans 1:20). To accept the Mayan 2012 prophecy also denies the clear biblical teaching about the end of the world, because Jesus told us “…of that day and hour no one knows, no, not the angels in Heaven, nor the Son, but the Father” (Mark 13:32).

Characters Environments
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. (Chinese Proverb)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Wow the last paragraph on the quote could definitely hurt some people's feeling telling people how their religion is false....

05-31-2009, 11:43 AM
It should not hurt anyone's feelings at all. If we were to avoid saying anything whatsoever that might hurt someone else's feelings then we really couldnt say very much at all.

~ Questioning the answers is much more important than answering the questions ~

The Paranormal Beliefs Survey ~^*White face*^~ Did Giants Once Walk the Earth?
05-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah religion is a touchy subject and is not why I posted the piece but to let everyone know that the end of the world cannot be predicted only speculated. I, as a Christian, follow these things closely and is why I have written two books on Christ return and what might happen during his 1000 year rule. Plus what I think will be the future of Man after the thousand years. As I state, 'What I think.'

Every one has an opinion and as long as we are tactful and polite, we can disagree without being disagreeable.

Characters Environments
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. (Chinese Proverb)
06-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know that much will happen. The above posted map is interesting. I will be part of the Pacific Ocean! I look at 2012 as the hysteria involving Y2K. Or a major earthquake hitting California and we break off from the mainland. Time will tell!! (But I think I will stay home that day) Rolleyes

People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within. ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross