Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Devil's Meeting
Scream_16 
I just got done watching the movie Devil. And in the movie they explain something about "The Devil's Meeting". Were the Devil takes someones life by making them commit suicide, so he can manifest in someone elses body, and damn the humans that have a heartless soul.

What do you guys think of this?

And do you have any myths/beliefs of the Devil?
Everything happens for a reason...
All "devil" movies have their own version of how the old fellow operates..to me it just sounds like another one of those.

Legend, myth, reality..who knows. But nothing...absolutely NOTHING topped Al Pacino's performance in "The Devil's Advocate" as far as what it takes for Satan to pull a whammy on you. If I have a belief about the devil...that image nailed it. (plus, anyone that can get away with saying "God..is an absentee landlord" is aces!)

The funny thing about that movie was how subtle it was...not scary, not horns and pitchforks and demons that all look like Eddie from the Iron Maiden albums of old...just a very charming man with rapier wit that laughs his butt off whenever someone invites him in.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

As an 'atheist' I don't believe in the devil. However I fully understand how people can believe in him/it and see 'his' works in the evil deeds that humans commit.

'The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist' The Usual Suspects (1995)

DB
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
always amazing when we try to visualize eternal possibilities with the finite mind. It just doesn't always happen with a degree of accuracy, what happens is a sort of dogma. But in defending the whole thing, we find ways to explain the unexplainable...From religion to every corner of the metaphysical world, we continue to try to make order out of the grand mysteries.

Perhaps more important than if we believe in the so called "devil', Is to know if He believes in us. " Icontexto-emoticons-04-032x032 Beware of the Jinn.
(03-09-2011, 10:34 PM)ParanormalKid Wrote: I just got done watching the movie Devil. And in the movie they explain something about "The Devil's Meeting". Were the Devil takes someones life by making them commit suicide, so he can manifest in someone elses body, and dadgum the humans that have a heartless soul.

What do you guys think of this?

And do you have any myths/beliefs of the Devil?

"Jelly side down..."

I have heard about supposed possessed cases where the victim is often very self-destructive. If the person is not treated, it ends in suicide... so yeah, that explanation does make sense in my mind.

The devil, in my opinion, manifests in things that "just aren't right," things that are against nature. Humans are naturally aimed at doing good things, and preserving life. Suicide is completely against nature, and it is one of the ways Satan thumbs his nose at God's divine plan for His creation.
I don't believe humans are naturally aimed at doing good things. History (and the Bible) has demonstrated that humans are capable of evil acts of the most heinous type. Whole societies commit atrocities on a regular basis, very
often in the name of their god or their particular supernatural belief. The devil has been used as an excuse time and time again when in reality it's the inherent potentially destructive nature of the human race that is ultimately to blame.

DB
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
(03-11-2011, 03:38 PM)D B Sweeney Wrote: I don't believe humans are naturally aimed at doing good things. History (and the Bible) has demonstrated that humans are capable of evil acts of the most heinous type. Whole societies commit atrocities on a regular basis, very
often in the name of their god or their particular supernatural belief. The devil has been used as an excuse time and time again when in reality it's the inherent potentially destructive nature of the human race that is ultimately to blame.

DB

True, humans are capable of terrible things.. but people do a much better job at living, protecting and creating life than killing. If humans were inherently aimed at evil, instead of good, humans would have died out long ago.

This is sorta why we consider homicidal maniacs to be well... "maniacs" and unwell mentally, and humanitarians to be examples of ideal human behavior. If I were to leave my home and murder a bunch of people on a whim, no one that's right in mind would say "Oh well, that's understandable, we are all human afterall." However, for example, if I'm walking along a park and I come across a boy trapped in a well I will go for help without even thinking about it.

The same goes for the vast majority of people, it practically goes without saying that we do the right thing more often than not without thinking. But to do something wrong, that usually takes some degree of rationalizing and excuse-making. To clarify, it makes sense that a mentally-healthy person would do something good for its own sake, and they would never do something evil for its own sake.

I am not saying a normal person NEVER does anything evil, but if/when a rationally healthy person does something terrible, they often say "oh it was for the greater Good" or for the sake of something outside of the action itself, a goal aimed something like self preservation or, as you said, god.

The point is that, at our core, unless someone's completely mentally unstable, people are naturally aimed at doing good things. Sometimes atrocities do happen, but we recognize them as just that, atrocities, and something that just is not right.

I'd continue and try to explain how I think the devil plays into that but I think I went off topic enough (and I got work in a bit). Sorry guys for the mini rant -.-
While the 'Devil' or demons may exist - most such encounters, & I think especially those that call for suicide are the demons in our own minds. The instinct to survive is the strongest of our primal instincts.
Movies always call for you to suspend some of your thoughts or grip [in my case - fragile]on reality.
The only wrong questions - are those that go unasked
Everyone has their own Demons they struggle with day to day. Literally or figirtivly(sp). We can all possess and evil thought from time to time. It's when that thought is acted upon that we have a problem. Peoples psychies are messed up now a days. Whether it's human nature or "the devil made him do it" It's up for grabs. I believe there is a devil and are demons. I believe humans can bring a lot of evil all on their own. Free will and all.
(03-10-2011, 01:03 PM)scarygirl67 Wrote: All "devil" movies have their own version of how the old fellow operates..to me it just sounds like another one of those.

Legend, myth, reality..who knows. But nothing...absolutely NOTHING topped Al Pacino's performance in "The Devil's Advocate" as far as what it takes for Satan to pull a whammy on you. If I have a belief about the devil...that image nailed it. (plus, anyone that can get away with saying "God..is an absentee landlord" is aces!)

The funny thing about that movie was how subtle it was...not scary, not horns and pitchforks and demons that all look like Eddie from the Iron Maiden albums of old...just a very charming man with rapier wit that laughs his butt off whenever someone invites him in.
I agree. The ending tells it all.