Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mystery of the Mary Celeste....I love this mystery of the sea!
I'm not sure if you've heard of this story before, but basically on morning of Friday 13th, 1872, a large ship, called The Mary Celeste (a New York ship weighing in at 280 tons) was found floating across the Portugese Coast - without its crew.

On that boat, when it left dock, there were a team of about ten people, including the ships master, his wife and his child. They were an experienced team. But, when another boat came across the floating Mary Celeste, they realised the crew were now missing...

The team who found this empty boat boarded it to take a look... The crews food, drink, clothes and belongings were still packed away in the ship... There was a table set with meals and drinks laid out....
But no crew.

It is a mystery that has remained after all this time, although there are many theories now as to what might explain the crew's absence.

Why did the crew leave the boat? The forecast showed that the sea's had been deadly calm over those last few days. The Captain was experienced in sailing and knew what he was doing. No items were "missing" from the boat, so they didn't appear to have been threatened from pirates....

No bodies every turned up, despite one of the lifeboats being missing from the Mary Celeste.

Nobody ever found out the ultimate truth.

This story has always fascinated me.

Anyone here add anything or come up with theories?
We will never know the truth so all we can do is look at evidence at hand many of the barrels of alcohol on board were empty signaling a dangerous leak. Possibly a floating bomb. The crews cabins were a mess as it appeared to have people quickly grabbing a few bare necessities. A large life boat was missing, the ropes unsecured, did the crew get in a lifeboat to avoid a possible explosion then perish in the winter seas?
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
I was there, it was Aliens.
The story is a fasinating one.
From what I've read about it, the theory that UNR suggests seems to be the most logical explanation.
There are some accounts of similar mysteries on the Great Lakes.
All, like the Mary Celeste - from the days before radios or GPS.
The only wrong questions - are those that go unasked
Anyone here add anything or come up with theories?

The mystery of the Mary Celeste is not a mystery. There was never a ship called the Mary Celeste found abandoned in the circumstances that we frequently hear about. It's a total fabrication that has evolved and been re-told as fact for many years.

For those that doubt it - please go Google and research it. If you then are not convinced please post and I'll post why it's a total myth.

DB
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
There was a ship called Mary Celeste. There are plenty of web sites, historians and people supporting it - and factual novels which are respected if you look in any book store or amazon etc.

Sir Arther Conan Doyle may have confused things by writing a fictional account of the story at that time which some perceived as a true account, but there was a boat called Mary Celeste, and its crew were never found - alive or dead.

Some facts:

Owner: Joshua Dewis, William Henry Bigalow and six other local investors
Port of registry: Parrsboro, Nova Scotia
Builder: Joshua Dewis
Launched: May 1861
Identification: ICS: JFWN[3]
Fate: Ran aground Glace Bay, Nova Scotia 1867, salvaged and sold to American owners
Notes: official number 37671

Here is a pictrure of its captain, Briggs:
[Image: 160px-Benjamin_Briggs_captain_of_Mary_Celeste.jpg]

Quote:The mystery of the Mary Celeste has been used frequently as an icon by writers of fiction. This can take the form of either direct adaptations of the story, or stories based on the idea of an abandoned ship, inspired by the Mary Celeste incident. A fictional depiction by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is credited as popularizing the Mary Celeste mystery. In "J. Habakuk Jephson's Statement," a story in his 1884 book The Captain of the Polestar, Conan Doyle presented his theory on what had happened. Doyle drew very heavily on fact, but included a considerable amount of fiction, calling the ship the Marie Céleste. Much of this story's fictional content, and the incorrect name, have come to dominate popular accounts of the incident, and were even published as fact by several newspapers.

If you go to http://www.numa.net they have great information...Archaeologist James Delgado looking at remains of the wreck along with historical accounts and he is seen carefully studying the fragments...being able to confidently identify the wreck as MARY CELESTE.

There are many, many reputable and reliable sources verifying this ship existed and its crew were lost. I mean... you can even read details of the court case hearing regarding the fate of the ship which took place in Gibraltar.

I've heard far more accounts which back up the story than I have anything valid with which to dismiss it. As far as I know, and am aware, The Mary Celeste is no more fiction than the Titanic. I don't believe historians today even question that it existed....for most it is an assumed fact, as is the Titanic.
If you're referring to the book by Laurence J. Keating ("The Great Mary Celeste Hoax"), DB, from what I understand....THAT book was a hoax.

This article goes into a lot of detail about the misinformation surrounding the Mary Celeste.
http://www.carter-stephenson.co.uk/celeste.htm

The only place I'm finding that it was a "hoax" was the book by Keating, and the research I have done online quickly...Keating is not a good source. However, I will admit this isn't a case I am familiar with, so if you have any other information that proves none of it ever happened, please share it with us, DB.
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ~Philip K. Dick

http://paranormalinreview2.zohosites.com/home.html

Scarygirl - I remember reading about a book concerning Mary Celeste that people believed was a hoax. Thanks for reminding me because I couldn't remember the name!

I won't pretend to have done in-depth research but I have read a lot about this case through the years and it seems the majority agree with the legitimacy of the Mary Celeste and its missing crew. To be honest, most historians haven't even had to seriously question its authenticity because it wasn't neccessary to do so. For most it's an established fact/event in history.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste The Mary Celeste started with a interesting background as the ship Amazon. It supposedly had three captains die aboard her, fires, accidents. It was later salvaged and renamed Mary Celeste.
Belief bias occurs when we make illogical conclusions in order to confirm our preexisting beliefs. Belief perseverance refers to our tendency to maintain a belief even after the evidence we used to form the belief is contradicted.
Yes, it might have had a different name (or two!) Supersticous folk in those days claimed it was "cursed" because of the death of three captains - but it was on that one boat that the crew aboard her during 1872 did go missing and were never recovered. At that time it was the Mary Celeste.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the nazca mystery parasearch 4 14,184 11-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Last Post: ssjm3
  1,800-year-old murder mystery UglyNRude 4 13,062 11-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Mary Queen O'Hearts
  Dyatlav Pass Mystery Andrasta 4 3,749 03-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Bracket
  King Tut Mystery Solved? Andrasta 2 2,916 02-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Andrasta