Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
One in every family...
12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
One in every family...
Im was raised Catholic but have never agreed with the belief system in this religeon, and I respect other peoples beliefs but I happen to have a brother who has been a born again Christian for quite awhile now, which is fine, however, he wants me to go to his church which I really have no wanting to do. I have made excuses why I wont but how do I explain I dont believe in a God who would punish his children by throwing them into a lake of fire for all eternity....I have faith...faith in something bigger than myself that created all the beauty in this world, all the good and the bad, and that after we leave this plane, we reconnect to that source of creation, but while we are here we just help each other out and live our human experience and be the best we can possibly be while we are here.
How do i explain that to him?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2016, 12:58 AM
RE: One in every family...
Explain it to him just like you did here and hope that he accepts your answer, and maybe go ahead and go with anyway. The best way to be gain acceptance from others is to be accepting to them first.
12-14-2016, 01:53 AM
There is a debate within psychiatry about religious fundamentalism as a diagnosable & treatable mental illness.
I say the above because there is little point in even attempting to debate religion with a fundamentalist. As like anyone else with a delusion, they have no ability to discuss anything to do with that delusion in a rational or normal manner. And even entering into a debate about if you do or do not want to attend could draw you into that delusion in their mind.
I would suggest what ever you do. Keep it brief, polite & vague.
Delusional people tend to be very rigid, not just in that belief, but also in their overall thought processes. So giving a reason could leave you with them coming back to that reason time & again.
Because you are wrong.
Are you happy to debate religion with him? The answer is probably not. so simply saying thank you, I have been thinking & I would rather not debate religion. I am happy where my life is & I see religion as a private belief & something that can lead to arguments & disharmony between families & friends.
Then put the emphasis on him, by saying you hope he can respect your private religious views in the way you would like to respect his views.
Maybe suggest that as brothers what do you have, if you do not have respect for each other? So thank you for that invite, but no thank you.
Then if or more likely when he tries to sell his flavour of god to you again. You can go back to that respect thing. It is no longer about you not agreeing to go. It is about him not respecting your private views.

We all believe in something greater than ourselves. Even if it's just the blind forces of chance. Ambassador G'Kar.
03-24-2017, 12:30 PM
(12-14-2016 01:53 AM)Janus Wrote:  There is a debate within psychiatry about religious fundamentalism as a diagnosable & treatable mental illness.
I say the above because there is little point in even attempting to debate religion with a fundamentalist. As like anyone else with a delusion, they have no ability to discuss anything to do with that delusion in a rational or normal manner. And even entering into a debate about if you do or do not want to attend could draw you into that delusion in their mind.
I would suggest what ever you do. Keep it brief, polite & vague.
Delusional people tend to be very rigid, not just in that belief, but also in their overall thought processes. So giving a reason could leave you with them coming back to that reason time & again.
Because you are wrong.
Are you happy to debate religion with him? The answer is probably not. so simply saying thank you, I have been thinking & I would rather not debate religion. I am happy where my life is & I see religion as a private belief & something that can lead to arguments & disharmony between families & friends.
Then put the emphasis on him, by saying you hope he can respect your private religious views in the way you would like to respect his views.
Maybe suggest that as brothers what do you have, if you do not have respect for each other? So thank you for that invite, but no thank you.
Then if or more likely when he tries to sell his flavour of god to you again. You can go back to that respect thing. It is no longer about you not agreeing to go. It is about him not respecting your private views.

This is a great way to go about it in my opinion. He's family! You have to remember that. Be vocal about it, but also be respectful. Just let him know you want to follow your own path and see where it takes you.
05-01-2017, 09:11 AM
I would just explain that you have your own beliefs, and they make you happy and content in your life and afterlife?
You're happy for him that he has found what he needs in his life, but that just isn't for you?

"If you have ghosts, you have everything".

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user