Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?
It occurs to me that, in my self-indulgent gesture of ‘dropping the mic,’ I may have given people the impression that I considered the matter closed.  Mind you, I’m not certain why anyone would actually care if I considered the matter closed, but that’s an entirely other issue.  The last thing I want to do is stifle debate.

What I do care about are loaded phrases and insults.  So, when someone calls Islam is an uncivilized religion… or implies that Fundamentalist Christians have a ‘brain dead literal’ understanding of the bible and are ‘foolish,’ I’m gonna call that person out.  I have a couple Muslim friends and while I’m far from a fundamentalist, I do have one friend who is an ordained, Pentecostal minister.  And while we disagree on… like, everything and a half when it comes to our respective readings of the bible... she would never sink so low as to call someone else’s opinions brain dead or foolish. 

That being said, I was probably a bit more harsh than I needed to be.  What can I say?  I’m Scots-Irish and have a temper.  Still, it wasn’t very Christian of me and I thought I’d take a moment to apologize to anyone, including Enemy, who might have felt like I was trying to shut down debate.

My citation was actually a challenge and I’m a little surprised that no one caught it.  I mean, I realize that most other people don’t have their favorite copy of the bible sitting on their desk, but there’s always Google.
Romans 7:5-6… er, 4-6 really.  I shouldn’t post when I’m angry.

Oopsie  ; )

‘In the same way, my friends, you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God.  While we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death.  But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we are slaves not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.’

Basically, to my eyes, it’s Paul explaining how… through Jesus’ sacrifice… we can move on past the days of vengeance and pillars of salt.  He took that burden on Himself so that God could be the good and loving father he was meant to be.

Now… you can disagree with my reading of the text.  But first, I expect you to read the text.  Actually, I’d advise on reading the entire Book of Romans.  You might be surprised in what you find there.  Alternately, you can cite yr own scripture, which I will promptly read.  But you can’t talk God without actually picking up a bible.  It is far too dense and complex a book for bullet points.

Honestly, I consider this an interesting question, once you get rid of the loaded phrasing and assumed premises.  Neil DeGrasse Tyson sums it up quite elegantly…

[Image: Newest%20Signature_zpsegrtkw8d.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - by Mika - 07-11-2018, 01:51 AM