Howdy Guest!  / Create an account
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Wow! Signal
Question 
The Wow! Signal, coined by astronomer Jerry Ehman, is a radio signal picked up by the Big Ear radio telescope at Ohio State University in 1977. Ehman marked with red "Wow!" at the margin of the computer printout and thus it was called The Wow! Signal. It lasted for approximately 72 seconds, sounded more intense than anything in the background sky that night, and did not repeat. Attempts to find the signal since have failed.

However, in 2006 a comet was cataloged called 266P/Christenson and ten years later in 2016 astronomer Antonio Paris thinks it is the culprit of the Wow! Signal.
Quote: In his paper, Paris wrote that comets will, under certain conditions, emit radio waves from the gases that surround them as they zoom closer to the sun. According to the study, Comet 266P/Christensen was in about the right position on the right day in 1977...
...The comet passed near but not exactly where the Wow! Signal was located. Because location in the sky will vary depending on where Earth is in its own orbit around the sun, The comet passed near, but not exactly, where the Wow! signal was — about 2 degrees north of the Wow! signal location.

With most answers to unsolved mysteries, skeptics arose questioning if the comet was indeed the culprit. Even Ehman himself does not believe it caused the Wow! Signal. The problem with Paris' conclusions is that the signal did not repeat as it should if it were a comet passing every 6.65 years and it appeared for such a short time.
Quote: We should have seen the source come through twice in about 3 minutes: one response lasting 72 seconds and a second response for 72 seconds following within about a minute and a half," Ehman told Live Science. "We didn't see the second one." The only way that can happen, he said, is if the signal was cut off abruptly. A comet wouldn't produce that kind of signal, because the gases that surround them cover large, diffuse areas. Nor would the comet have escaped from the radio telescope's field of view that fast.

While aliens are the most fun and easy to run to as an answer, Ehman and other scientists are still far from reaching that conclusion. There's many phenomena that is similar to how or what the Wow! Signal is including fast radio bursts (FRBs). Read more about the Wow! Signal here: Comet Likely Didn't Cause Bizarre 'Wow!' Signal (But Aliens Might Have)
 The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep.
What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul. * Sunny Peach Blog ミ☆ 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. And I have promises to keep. Miles to go before I sleep.
What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul. * Sunny Peach Blog ミ☆ 
~*~*~Psych Butterfly~*~*~

I love the Wow! Signal. I've loved it since the moment I read about it. I'm really surprised I haven't read it on here, since I had started. You're my first time I've seen it anywhere around this forum....be gentle. xD
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to KaelisRa for this post:
  • Chevleia