Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions
God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Printable Version

+- Talk Paranormal | Supernatural Forum and Discussions (http://www.talkparanormal.com)
+-- Forum: Religion, Metaphysical And Occult Topics (http://www.talkparanormal.com/forum-34.html)
+--- Forum: Religion (http://www.talkparanormal.com/forum-57.html)
+--- Thread: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? (/thread-22908.html)

Pages: 1 2

God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Enemy No. 1 Gnostic - 07-31-2017

God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth?

The use of the term Father in speaking of God is quite ancient and was around way before Jesus started using the term, even though he used son of man a lot more than son of God.

A son calling someone father in the proud way Jesus did is respecting a worthy father, but if we look at Yahweh, I do not see how anyone could be proud of such a father.

Yahweh is definitely portrayed as being quite vile thanks to his use of genocide, infanticide and punishing the innocent instead of the guilty quite often. Yahweh is also shown to covet Joseph’s wife, cuckold Joseph, produce a son and then take off for parts unknown leaving his responsibility for his son to others thus showing himself to be a deadbeat dad.

Scripture say that we are all sons of God. To be relevant to his children, a father has to be around to interact with them. It seems that God does not want to be relevant to us as he remains absent and places us, his children, at the mercy of people who have written scripture more to enrich themselves than to give us the messages from God that they claim to know. Even though scriptures say that God id unknowable and unfathomable and his desires cannot be known.

My analysis of the bible and God does not show God to be a good father.

Do you, as a child of God, see God as a good father or as more of a deadbeat dad?

Regards
DL

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Aboom - 06-26-2018

From my perspective, i believe that we falsely put God in the position of what we consider a good earthly "father."  For example, when I was a kid, my father would have physically protected me from being abducted.  Our "Father in heaven" on the other hand, would do nothing (if the scenario reflected those we hear about on the news).

For an excellent write up on the topic:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread604233/pg1

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Vultyrex - 06-27-2018

Don't take figurative speech as the literal sense. That's clearly what gave birth to this question.

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Enemy No. 1 Gnostic - 06-27-2018

(06-26-2018, 10:26 PM)Aboom Wrote: From my perspective, i believe that we falsely put God in the position of what we consider a good earthly "father."  For example, when I was a kid, my father would have physically protected me from being abducted.  Our "Father in heaven" on the other hand, would do nothing (if the scenario reflected those we hear about on the news).

For an excellent write up on the topic:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread604233/pg1

Thanks for this.

It is foolish to think we can invent Gods that are more than human when they are less by a long shot.

Regards
DL

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Enemy No. 1 Gnostic - 06-27-2018

(06-27-2018, 02:17 AM)Vultyrex Wrote: Don't take figurative speech as the literal sense. That's clearly what gave birth to this question.

Literal reading of myths is what is causing and have cause most of the evils that religions bring to us.

So clearly, that is why I used the brain dead literal reading of myths method to bring the foolish to a better non-literal way of reading.

Regards
DL

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Vultyrex - 06-27-2018

You're still asking a question by misunderstanding the context used.

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Enemy No. 1 Gnostic - 06-28-2018

(06-27-2018, 08:38 PM)Vultyrex Wrote: You're still asking a question by misunderstanding the context used.

Thanks for showing the misunderstanding. Oh wait.

Regards
DL

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Vultyrex - 06-29-2018

Clearly, you don't want to understand the point. Carry on with your malcontent.

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - Mika - 06-29-2018

The problem with this sort of ‘Amateur Philosophy 101’ is that it typically ignores half of the ‘God as Father’ equation… specifically, the part of the analogy where we are His children.  Not grown, adult offspring who can claim an equal footing.  Children.  Think of it as a scale… God’s level of wisdom, compared to a grown human, would be something like a grown man’s level of wisdom compared to that of a three-year-old.  So, to ask us if God is a ‘deadbeat dad’ is pretty much akin to asking a three-year-old if her forty-year-old father is a big meanie for making her put down her toy and take a nap.

I’m also a bit confused as to who, exactly, yr target audience is with this post.  I’m assuming it isn’t Christians, as most devout Christians would likely say they do not feel their God is, in any way, absent.  Heck, I talk to God every day and I’m not exactly what you would call a ‘church going’ sort of individual.  Most Christians and Muslims I know would say that God is all around you and if you, personally, don’t see Him… well, maybe yr just not looking.  It’s not unheard of for a kid to be so caught up in her fancy new X-Station or Play-Box to lose focus and forget about the parent nagging her to clean her room…

So, to whom are you posing this question?  Based on the scripture you (don’t actually) cite and based on the concept of God you’ve shown in this and other posts, you don’t seem to be talking about a Christian God… and you don’t (not) cite the Quran, so we can safely rule out an Islamic God.  What yr really talking about is the so-called ‘vengeful’ God of the Old Testament.

This is an important distinction.  After all, there are well over 2 billion Christians on this planet and nearly 2 billion Muslims.  In contrast, there are just 14 million followers of Judaism.  No disrespect intended to my Jewish friends out there, of course, but for context… of all the people who hold faith with the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God, for every one that prays to the God of the Old Testament, there are about 150 who pray to the God of the Quran and 180 who pray to the God of the New Testament.

Basically, yr cherry picking examples from a minority opinion and, not only attributing it to the majority, but... even worse, distorting it.  The God of the Old Testament is not only a Father but a King and, therefore, required to mete out justice.  By definition, He is required to be harsh at times.  So, if you want a debate on whether or not the God of the Old Testament was more harsh than fair, cools.  I need to brush up on my OT anyway.  But let’s not pretend that, just because some guy once told you that, whatever… God condoned slavery and hates on homosexuals… that you’ve actually read the bible.  In it’s entirety.  Taken in context.

You clearly haven’t.

Oh, and Romans 7: 5-6.  It’s called citation.  If you want to be taken seriously, you might try it someday...

8 )

RE: God; a good father or a deadbeat dad. Which is the truth? - KaelisRa - 06-29-2018

WOOHOO! Yeah, Mika! Say it like it is! Big Grin